Friday, February 02, 2007

Paul Daley’s Favourite Holes By Design


















I’ve been ill almost all week now, so I thought I would take a light subject for a change of pace.

One of my favorite golf architecture books for relaxing before bed is Paul Daley’s Favourite Holes by Design. It doesn’t have the depth of insight that I love from Golf Architecture in America by Thomas or Mackenzie’s Spirit of St. Andrew’s, but there are lots of small moments to love. The book has such a simple premise, get 70 different golf course architects to write a one page review of a great hole and publish them all together in one book. I certainly wish I knew Paul Daley at the time because I would have loved to have participated in the book.


The Himilayan Golf Club's 6th from the tee over the river, and back across to the island green






Each architect has written in detail what they admire about the hole, whether it simply fits the eye, offers a unique set of playing options, or pushes the art to a new level. They have covered well known holes from Cypress Point to Augusta, but the best ones are from courses not known by more than the most ardent architecture junkie, like the Himilayan Golf Club by Ron Fream or Martin Ebert’s choice of the outstanding 5th at Royal Worlington and Newmarket (likely the finest nine hole course in the world). This is the area where the book becomes the most fun.

There are great personal moments, like Todd Eckinrode’s views on the 13th at Royal County Down, which are framed around his trip to play in the British Amateur. Robin Hinesman starts his with “Isn’t it great when something not only meets you expectations, but exceeds them. Especially when your expectations were so high to begin with.” He goes on to talk about the joy he found at the often maligned Cashen Course at Ballybunion. I know find myself wanting badly to see this course after reading his review. Some of the illustrations are spectacular and some of the writing is beautiful, but all of the reviews make you want to see the holes you have not yet played. Paul even included a photograph of each hole taken usually by David Scalletti so that people could see what makes the hole special too.

The 6th at Kingsbarns, Brian used Kyle's own sketch to illustrate the hole.











If your curious about which hole I would have picked then you better use this link to find out:
http://thecaddyshack.blogspot.com/2006/06/18-holes-day-16-6th-at-creek.html

The back of Paul’s book finishes up with a list of each architects favourite 5 par 3s, 4’s and 5’s.
I have offered you my favourite hole and I will finish up with the 15 holes that I think are the best at each par. I stuck with only the holes I knew from personal experience, so I’m sure there are other more worthy holes I haven’t met…..yet!

3’s
16th at Cypress Point Club
11th Los Angelas Country Club
4th National Golf Links of America
10th Pine Valley Golf Club
8th Royal Troon Golf Club

4’s
10th Riviera Golf & Country Club
13th Pine Valley Golf Club
14th Royal Dornock Golf Club
13th Royal County Down
6th The Creek Club

5’s
8th Crystal Downs Golf Club
18th Pebble Beach Golf Links
15 at Highland Golf Links
14th at St. Andrew’ Old Course
13th at Cruden Bay Golf Club

I bring this up to any of you who have not heard of this book and I have provided a link to the publisher Paul Daley. He can be reached at : http://www.fullswinggolf.com.au/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ian,

Himalayan Golf Course looked fascinating, so I did some research on the Net and found out they have a website --
http://www.himalayangolfcourse.com/
Make sure you check out the Picture Gallery!!

As well, there is a link to Ron Fream's write-up on the HGC's 6th hole on Fullswing Publishing's website --
http://www.fullswinggolf.com.au/index_general.asp?menuid=070.030.020